Sunday, September 30, 2012

Crafts, Cooking and IKEA!

I've been really productive lately in making crafts for the house. I am really picky when it comes to decorating our home, but I have made a couple things lately that look wonderful in our house. Of course, I found the "how-to" on Pinterest, but changed it up a little. Here is the first one I did...

 I used this tutorial

I changed some of the steps because I didn't want to cut out letters from the printer and stick them onto the canvas. I used cardboard letters from Michaels and Hobby Lobby and just placed them onto the canvas covered in fabric, then spray painted it. It took quite a few coats of spray paint to cover the fabric completely, but it looks great! I was really surprised that it worked without sticking the letters to the fabric. More of these will be made in the future!

I had some fabric left over, and decided to make this! 


Here is the tutorial 

The tutorial says that she used backsplash tiles for behind the letters, but I had the fabric and it turned out wonderful. I still want to add a flower of some sort to it, but haven't found the perfect color and size. Also, I found it impossible to find the right size letters and numbers foe the "est 2011" and ended up ordering them online. I ordered just the numbers and letters I needed in the size I want from these guys http://www.davesigns.com/. They were very inexpensive and shipped out that day! I was impressed and would definitely use them again for all my wooden letter needs ;) 

This past weekend, I took my first trip to IKEA! Oh my, I have been missing out all these years. I went in telling myself I wasn't going to buy anything... well, that didn't happen! Their stuff is amazing and so responsibly prices. I was able to get a lamp and throw pillows for our guest room that really finished it off :) I will be making a trip or two out there in the near future. It might be for the best that I hadn't been there until now... 

Last week, we had a freak hail storm out here. One minute it was sunny, then it poured down in hail, then it was sunny again. Oh Colorado... never a dull moment. Thankfully the hail was small and didn't do any damage, but it looked like it snowed here afterwards.






I've made a couple new recipes since Jason has been away, and they all have been wonderful! I have made this broccoli salad a couple times and have taken it to work for lunch. 



Bodacious Broccoli Salad

8 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon to make it a little healthier)2 heads fresh broccoli, chopped1 1/2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded1/2 large red onion, finely diced1/4 cup red wine vinegar 1/8 cup white sugar1-2 teaspoons ground black pepper1 teaspoon salt2/3 cup mayonnaise1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice 

1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, and crumble. 2. In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, bacon and onion.3. Prepare the dressing in a small bowl by whisking together the red wine vinegar, sugar, pepper, salt, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Combine dressing with salad. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve. 




I also made a great Crock-Pot Orange Chicken recipe. I LOVE my Crock-Pot more than anything in my kitchen! I use it to make dinners more than I use my oven. 



Crock-Pot Orange Chicken

3-4 boneless chicken breasts, chopped into small chunks
1/3 cup flourolive oil1/2 T salt1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar3 T ketchup6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate (thaw or throw it in the microwave for 45 seconds)4 T brown sugar

1. In a bowl, mix the orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and ketchup.
2. Pour the flour in a small bowl.
3. Cover the chicken breast chunks in flour and shake off the excess.

4. Pour a small amount of olive oil in a skillet and brown the flour-covered chicken. The chicken doesn't need to be fully cooked since it's going in the crock pot.
5. After the chicken is done cooking, pour the pieces into the crock pot. Then cover the chicken with your sauce mixture and give the pot a stir.
6. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3.
7. Serve over rice and even add veggies if you want a healthier meal.


Finally, Jason comes home in Olds days! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment