Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 10 Years Ago

Jason and I have been home all day due to me being sick and Jason having a reaction to a flu shot he got on Friday. Because we are home, we've been watching a lot of television today and seeing a lot of footage from that horrible day in American history ten years ago. I think I told Jason 5 times that I can't believe it's been 10 years already. I feel like it just happened. I remember every detail of that day like it was yesterday. I was 14 years old and at the beginning of my Sophomore year of high school at Fairfield High. It was 6am in California and my brother and I were about to get up to get ready for school. My mom came into our rooms, trying not to sound too panicked, woke us up and told us to come out to the living room because history is being made. Little did we know what was happening across the country in New York.

I don't remember eating anything that day, I just remember sitting in front of the TV all day long. It was shocking, even to me, a young teenager who really didn't seem to care about anyone but myself. I remember when the first tower fell, it was silent in the living room. My mom would make periodic phone calls to my dad who was at work, but was watching on his TV there. Even though we were a country away from this terrorist attack, it was terrifying! We stayed home from school, my mom stayed home from work and my dad came home as soon as possible. It was a day that you were very thankful for the ones you love and grieve for strangers in New York who lost so many people on a normal work day.

Later that evening, we went to our local church and had a prayer meeting for all that were lost and hurting. I remember going with my mom and friend. Everyone was crying and felt so helpless. My brother was 16 at the time and wanted to join the Military at the moment to help find the people that did this to America. He ended up not joining the military, but became a Firefighter instead which is equally as heroic. Watching all the different shows from different perspectives from tons of different people makes it seem like it just happened and it still happening. I heard a story that I had never heard before about a blind man in one of the WTC towers and his seeing eye dog lead him down the stairs from the 77th floor and outside to safety. Even though he was blind, he was able to keep others and his dog calm while escaping the horror. I could go on and on about how many different stories I have heard, but I won't. Instead, here are some amazing photos from 10 years ago.

The Air Force Falcons had this symbol (above) on the back of their
helmets at yesterday's football game




The memorial where the WTC footprints are still there.




No comments:

Post a Comment