Thursday, September 22, 2011

Calzones

Tonight I made Calzones made with pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives and cheese. They were so easy to make and turned out delicious! This is a direct quote from Jason: "This is better than restaurant quality!" He was very pleased. The dough I used was very sticky and I had some issues folding them, but once they baked they were fine.

Ingredients:
Pillsbury Pizza Dough (I used thin crust to keep the carbs down a bit)
Pepperoni (as much or as little as you want)
1 can sliced mushrooms (or 1 package fresh mushrooms)
1 small can black olives
1 small jar pizza sauce

You can add whatever ingredients you want inside the pizza dough. We were thinking about making some kind of chicken calzone next :)

I used fresh mushrooms, so I cooked them in a skillet for about 15 mins. I cooked them in a little olive oil and added some garlic powder to make them delicious.


Photographer credit goes to my wonderful husband, Jason

Then, I rolled the dough out and cut it into fourths. You can cut it in half for larger calzones or into eights or smaller. Whatever works best for you.



Then, I put the pizza sauce on the dough (be sure not to go all the way to the edge so that the dough can stick together when folding them... I made that mistake.) Add any toppings you want on top of the sauce. Try to spread it evenly on the dough, but keep away from edges.

Bake in oven for about 10 mins at 400 degrees. I sprinkled cheese on top of them before I put them in the oven, but it burned a bit, so I wouldn't recommend it.



YAY FOR COOKING!!


No comments:

Post a Comment